BSBDIV501 – Manage diversity in the workplace Project Learner assessment guide and evidence1. This assessment requires you to review and research current practices in diversity and make suggestio
BSBDIV501 – Manage diversity in the workplace
Learner assessment guide and evidence
1. This assessment requires you to review and research current practices in diversity and make suggestions for how the diversity policy can be improved.
2. This assessment consists of four tasks. You must complete these 4 tasks below.
Task 1- Write an introduction and clarifying legislation
Task 2- Improve the diversity policy in the areas of age, gender and family
Task 3- Improve the diversity policy in the areas of LGBTI, disability and
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
Task 4- Address the Bullying and harassment in the diversity policy
3. To achieve satisfactory in this assessment, you must satisfactorily demonstrate all the skills listed in the marking guide.
4. You are to provide answers to each of the questions in a separate document using MS Word or similar word processing tools. Your document should be professionally formatted with question retyped and answered
5. Your assessor will provide you the soft copies of required templates for this assessment
6. Ask your assessor if you do not understand a question. Whist your assessor cannot tell you the answer, he/she may be able to re-word the question for you.
7. Re-assessment: If you do not achieve the required standard, you will be given the opportunity to be re-assessed by our Assessor. Arrangements will be made on an individual basis. If you are deemed to be NS (Not Satisfactory), your assessor will either ask specific questions orally, and record them with you using the supplementary evidence sheet or you will be asked to resubmit your responses in full.
8. The additional and specific instructions are listed under each task
9. On completion, you are required to submit all the tasks to your assessor
· This assessment requires you to review and research current practices in diversity and make suggestions for how the diversity policy for Kingfisher Garden Centre can be improved.
You are required to do the following.
1. Complete Tasks 1, 2, 3 and 4 in this project. Use the report template provided by the assessor to complete these tasks
2. Your report should be presented fully typed, in a short report format, using the template provided.
3. Submit the report as per the below short report format:
· Cover or title page
· Table of contents
· Body – with headings and numbering systems
· References: list sources of information and research referenced in text
· Appendix: flow chart of the grievance procedure
4. Read and familiarise yourself with the Kingfisher Garden Centre diversity policy provided by your assessor. This is a fictitious diversity policy developed for this assessment.
5. To gather ideas, research what major companies are doing to manage diversity. Large companies such as the major banks (Westpac, ANZ and Commonwealth), BHP, PepsiCo, etc., tend to have information on their websites. Also use the research gathered throughout the unit.
Introduction and legislation
o Write an introduction to the report. Clearly identify the purpose of the report and what the report aims to achieve.
o Include a definition of diversity and comments on the benefits of diversity in the workplace.
2.1 Relevant legislation
· Make a list of the applicable federal and state/territory legislation.
2.2 Protected attributes
· Include a list of all the protected attributes or grounds for discrimination.
· Create a statement about Kingfisher Garden Centre’s position on discrimination and define the term discrimination.
3.1 Direct discrimination
· Provide a clear definition of direct discrimination and provide examples to clarify understanding.
3.2 Indirect discrimination
· Provide a clear definition of indirect discrimination and provide examples to clarify understanding.
3.3 Adverse actions
· Explain what ‘adverse actions’ means and provide examples to clarify understanding.
3.4 Allowable discrimination
· Explain how sometimes discrimination is allowable. Give examples that relate to the Kingfisher Garden Centre to clarify understanding.
Age, gender and family diversity
· Review Kingfisher’s diversity policy. How could you improve the diversity policy in the following areas?
1. Age-based diversity
o How well does it provide for age-based diversity? How could it be improved?
2. Gender diversity
o How well does it provide for gender-based diversity? How could it be improved?
3. Parental support, including supporting women returning to the workforce after maternity leave
o How well does it provide for family-based diversity? How could it be improved?
4. Work/life balance
o State Kingfisher’s policy stance on work/life balance and any supporting policies and procedures.
o What strategies should be implemented to support work/life balance?
Ensure you address strategies that could support the policy. For example, if you say Kingfisher values work/life balance, what strategies will you put in place to achieve this?
LGBTI, disability and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
Review Kingfisher’s diversity policy. How could you improve the diversity policy in the following areas?
1. LGBTI community
o How well does it provide for LGBTI diversity and how could it be improved?
o How well does it provide for disability diversity and how could it be improved?
3. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
o How well does it provide for Indigenous diversity and how could it be improved?
Ensure you address strategies to support the policy in the areas in 8, 9 and 10. For example, Kingfisher has a scholarship program for Indigenous people. How can the company encourage an uptake of this?
4. Recruitment and selection
1.1 Recruiting employees
o How can Kingfisher aim for diversity in recruiting (attracting applicants) and promoting employees?
1.2 Selecting employees
o What strategies can be put in place to prevent discrimination and bias in the selection process?
Bullying and harassment
· Review Kingfisher’s diversity policy. Address the following topic areas.
1. Bullying and harassment
o Write a clear definition of bullying and sexual harassment. Provide employees with links to websites for where they can go for support and further assistance if they feel they have been bullied or harassed.
1.2 Grievance procedures
o How could Kingfisher’s current grievance procedure be improved? Create a flow chart on the grievance procedure and include it in the Appendix.
1.3. Training needs
o Based on the suggestions for improvement you have made in Tasks 1, 2, 3 and 4, write an overview of the training needs Kingfisher employees will have. Include suggestions for how these training needs will be met, taking into consideration the different needs of your employees. This can be presented as a table.
1.4. Promoting diversity to staff
o How would you promote the benefits of diversity and communicate any updates to a diversity policy to staff? Explain.
1.6 Promoting diversity externally
o Besides the AHRI awards, what other external forums could be used to promote Kingfisher’s diversity success and further enhance the benefits of diversity in the workplace to the broader society?
· Now that you’ve got a good understanding of what should be in a diversity policy, reflect on Kingfisher’s policy.
· What areas were neglected, or not adequately addressed?
· What are the benefits of having a policy on managing diversity?
· What have you learnt from doing this report and studying this unit?
Once you have completed your report, proof read it and check that your reference list (sources of research) has been included.
You must also update the table of contents. To do this in Microsoft Word, follow these steps:
· Click on the table of contents. It will turn grey and a small tab will appear at the top of the table that says ‘Table of’. Click on the ‘down arrow’ next to it. It will give you the menu option ‘update table’.
· Click on ‘update table’.
· Select ‘update entire table’ and press ‘OK’.
· The table of contents will now reflect the correct page numbers.